With 15 years of experience practicing exclusively in family law, Charla Strawser is the newest partner to join the Stern & Edlin team. Ms. Strawser handles all aspects of complex marital and domestic partner dissolutions, including high asset property division, contested child custody, spousal and child support, paternity and legitimation, and custodial and non-custodial parent relocation. She regularly drafts prenuptial and postnuptial agreements and also serves as the reviewing attorney for such agreements.
Ms. Strawser received her J.D. from Wake Forest University School of Law with high honors and graduated on the Dean’s List with a B.A. in philosophy from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Ms. Strawser moved to Atlanta in 1998 after graduating law school, where she remains an actively involved member of several professional and bar association groups and serves as a Guardian ad Litem protecting children’s interests in contested custody cases. She has been celebrated on Atlanta Magazine’s Super Lawyer’s Rising Stars list since 2006. She is the co-author of the Georgia Domestic Relations Case Finder, now in its fourth edition, which provides a one-step reference for finding relevant case law summaries at every stage of Georgia domestic relations practice. Ms. Strawser is certified in the practice of Collaborative Law.
Ms. Strawser has dedicated her legal practice to the area of family law because it provides an opportunity to assist clients facing the most stressful event in their lives. For Ms. Strawser, representing a child, a wife who is also a mother or a husband who is also a father is not simply a legal or financial transaction, the well being of an entire family is at stake.
Ms. Strawser is currently an Adjunct Instructor for Georgia State University College of Law.
• Georgia, 1998
• Georgia Court of Appeals
• Supreme Court of Georgia
• Wake Forest University School of Law, Winston Salem, North Carolina
J.D - 1998
Honors: With High Honors
Stanley Moot Court Board
North Carolina State Bar Pro Bono Public Service Award
President, Public Interest Law Organization (1996-1998)
Who’s Who Among Students in American Universities (1997-1998
CALI Award for Academic Excellence (1998)
• University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
B.A. - 1994
Honors: Dean's List
Sonya H. Stone Academic Scholarship
Professional Associations and Memberships
• Member, Family Law and Litigation Sections of Atlanta Bar Association
• Member, Lawyer’s Club of Georgia
• Member and Volunteer, Fulton County Court Appointed Special Advocates
• Member, Ansley Country Club
Honors and Awards
• Georgia Rising Star - Super Lawyer, Atlanta Magazine, 2006-2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
Certified Legal Specialties
• Collaborative Law Trained and Certified
• Guardian ad Litem Trained and Certified, Atlanta Volunteer Lawyers Foundation
• Outlaw v. Rye, 312 Ga.App. 579, 718 S.E. 2d 905 (Georgia Court of Appeals 2011)
• Co-Author, Georgia Domestic Relations Case Finder (Fourth edition including supplements, Mathew Bender & Company, Inc., a member of the LexisNexis Group)
• Guest Lecturer for Advanced Domestic Relations Litigation, Georgia State University School of Law